Our best flourless chocolate cake also happens to be easy to make, with just a handful of ingredients that come together in about an hour. The lack of flour makes this cake extra fudgy, extra chocolatey, and utterly divine. It’s so rich, it doesn’t even need frosting, but we wouldn’t discourage a dollop of whipped cream. And if this intensely chocolatey treat wasn't heavenly enough, it also happens to be a gluten-free dessert (and a perfect Passover dessert!).
How to make flourless chocolate cake
Start with a lot of chocolate (this is a chocolate dessert, after all!) melted in butter. We prefer bittersweet chocolate for a deep, chocolatey flavor, but you can swap in any rich, dark bar that you like (we’d avoid milk and white chocolate for this recipe). The butter and chocolate creates an incredibly silky base that you’ll want to eat straight from the bowl, but it’s about to get even better.
Add a little bit of sugar to the chocolate mixture, then whisk in 6 eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in almond extract for a sweet, special flavor and cocoa powder (because, chocolate) until smooth.
And that’s it! Just pour it into your pan and bake for 25 to 28 minutes. Once it has cooled, dust it with cocoa powder and serve with whipped cream.
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
bittersweet chocolate, chopped
pure almond extract
unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
Whipped cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 9-inch springform pan with parchment and lightly grease.
- In medium saucepan on medium-low, melt butter and chocolate, stirring until combined.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly, 5 minutes. Add sugar and mix to combine. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time until fully incorporated, then stir in almond extract and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until just set in center, 25 to 28 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Dust with cocoa and serve with whipped cream if desired.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): About 365 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated), 6.5 g protein, 40 mg sodium, 34 g carb, 4 g fiber
What you'll need: 9-inch sprinform pan ($13, amazon.com)
Did you make this recipe? Comment below!